Discussion on flexural deformation of crust at passive margins
Recently in class, I led a discussion on the flexural deformation of the crust due to unloading of sediment from mountains, and the concomitant deposition of sediment in passive margin basins. We discussed 3 papers, with a little bit of additional information.
The main point I wanted to make to the group was that flexural deformation is a big player in the long-term decay of an orogen.
I’m putting my powerpoint slides up here as a pdf, and the citations for the discussion are below.
- Kusznir et al., 1991. A flexural cantilever model of continental lithosphere extension.
- Pazzaglia and Gardner, 1994. Late Cenozoic flexural deformation of the middle US Atlantic passive margin.
- Figure, modified from Pazzaglia and Gardner, 2000.
- Driscoll and Karner, 1994. Flexural deformation due to Amazon Fan loading.
- Rouby et al., 2013. Long term stratigraphic evolution of Atlantic-type passive margins: a numerical approach of interactions between surface processes, flexural isostasy, and 3D thermal subsidence.